We love a bride that follows her own heart when choosing her wedding dress and that is exactly what we experienced with Robyn. She chose a gorgeously unconventional wedding dress and did not let outsider opinions faze her – the result – a beautiful and modern wedding dress look that suited her personality perfectly. Thanks for trusting us to bring your wedding dress dreams to life Robyn! We had a chat with her to find out more about her wedding planning journey – she gives some great advice so be sure to read to the end.
- How did you meet your husband and how did you get engaged? We met in class in our honours year of studying finance. Our class mates said we’d get together one day 😉 which happened the day we got our final results.
He proposed out of the blue on a Monday night at home (whilst I was in my PJs) and he cooked me a lovely dinner (he hates the kitchen and anything cooking related). He put the ring on the dessert plate and didn’t really ask anything (think he got too nervous) and I just grabbed the ring (cos it was so beautiful) and put it on my finger ha ha. It was such a surreal and magical moment. We then kept it a secret between us 2 for a few days and told everyone close to us in person.
Where did you get married and why did you choose that venue and time of year for your wedding?
We got married at Ferguson’s on 5th – a stunning rooftop venue in Joburg on a beautiful sunny day in April. The venue suited us. It was modern and something a bit different. We loved the outdoor feel, seeing the Joburg skyline and had a beautiful sunset that evening.
What was the vibe of your wedding?
Very relaxed and fun with lots of MCC. We just wanted a good party with our close friends and family.
How did you hear about The Wedding Collective?
Via my trendy friend, Talitha (who joined me on my my first consultation)
What made you choose your wedding dress?
It was something different and refreshing. Easy to move in, and suited my petite frame. It was very me and I loved the sleekness.
How was your wedding dress experience from fittings to the final product?
My wedding was planned within 6 months so I couldn’t take my time in deciding on a dress. The Wedding Collective was very accommodating in trying to assist me in choosing the perfect fit and style. Every fitting was a great experience as Marié is totally lovely and she has created the nicest and prettiest space.
Do you have any advice or tips for new brides-to-be looking for their perfect wedding dress?
Go for something YOU love! Not something that your mom/friend likes. Try not go with too many friends/family as their opinions are quite annoying if you have your eyes set on a dress and they have a differing opinion.
Who was your wedding photographer?
Vicky Bergallo – she’s all about natural photos. That’s why we picked her and loved her work!
Any other vendors you would like to recommend to new brides-to-be?
Moi Décor – beautiful wedding décor and the owner Carla is so hospitable and helpful. We also got a videographer last minute – David was excellent – PeachTree Productions. My make up artist, Annice Gerber (MakeUp by Annice), was also such a gem – she made everyone look amazing!
What was your most memorable part of your wedding day?
Walking down the aisle with my dad and seeing and getting to experience my (then) fiance’, now husband’s reaction!! It was priceless and incredible.
- Do you have any advice regarding the overall planning of a wedding?
- Go for what you and your fiance want. It’s your wedding (not your parents’ or friends)
- Don’t send out save the dates too early.
- The time goes so quick – try take as many pics with family and friends as you can (limit the couples only photos – they waste too much time on the day)
- Speech (as a bride) – it means so much to everyone present. And just talk from the heart.
- Ask for help and don’t do too much yourself, get your bridal party involved with specific tasks.
- Celebrate the occasion and enjoy every minute of the whole experience!